Thursday, September 5, 2013

2 months with friends and beach paradise

We have now been in Panama for two months. We are still getting to know alot of things about the country, people, and places. But it is a wonderful place to serve a mission. I thought it would be great to share with you some of the friends and fun we are experiencing here in Boquete this past week.

This is Frank Sciaca. He is an American who is from New York. Lynda especially enjoys talking to him, as they share alot of common "personality". He is a good member of the church, and we have had dinner at his home a few times. He is great!

One day we decided to try Plantanos, those oversized looking bananas that are in abundance here. We liked it so much that Lynda decided to fry some, then put the pieces into a vanilla cake and bake it. It was wonderful, and we shared it with several members, who thought it was a great invention!


The youth are on vacation this week, so the branch decided to take them to the beach, about an hour away. As a member of the branch presidency, I just "had" to go and support them ;-). After driving on the main highway for about half an hour, we turned off and started the second half hour on a jungle road of rocks, mud, hills, and valleys. Good thing I have a 4 wheel drive! I have never driven to the beach like this!!
Where are we? This is the beach? And they said it was a private beach. I was a bit worried.....
Never judge a book by it's cover, they say. It was as if we came into paradise. There were cabanas with hammocks, tables and chairs, and no one else on the beach but us. The water is incredibly warm and calm (and salty), and the beach was clean and beautiful. Tourists would never know about this place.

The members had us wear some traditional beach hats, and we just couldn't resist. 



Lynda at the beach, with Sister Bram in the background, the seminary teacher, and the cabana site.
My bathing beauty!


some of the youth of our branch. They are a great group of young people, and we just love them. They are all at our house at least weekly.


Yep, there are Monos (monkeys) in the jungle trees all around us. They love to yell and make a lot of noise.





I had to get into the water as well and do my part in carrying them on my shoulders. That's me with my back to the picture with Anna on my shoulders.

The youth tried hard to include me in their shoulder walking. I've got to say that I felt my age the next day!


This is the Montezuma family.We especially love these kids. They are pure Panamanian, and live in very poor circumstances. We are building that house out back for them. On the way back from the beach, I asked if they had ever been to a Subway, and they had never even heard of such. I knew there was one on our way home, so Lynda and I treated them to their first experience. (there is only one Subway in all of David, none in Boquete). It was so fun to see them select their food. They were overwhelmed! They never get to eat like this.
Have you ever seen a 5 year old like Albert enjoy a sandwich so much! He also ate two big hamburgers for lunch at the beach, and finished off this 6" ham sandwich, cookie, and soda (refilled as well). Where does he put it all?

2 comments:

  1. Que buen servicio ue estan prestando ustedes!! Me agrada mucho ver la familia Montezuma disfrutando de esos sandwhiches, que tiernura!! Saludeme a la hna presley y digale que se be muy bien en un traje de bano

    ~Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun post! Thanks for sharing your mission with all of us!

    ReplyDelete